Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ho um hum.




I have never worked for a large organisation before. But my newest attempt at straying far away from teaching finds me tucked into a tight partition with similar sprawling walls surrounding me. It is just like on the movies, only more awkward in its lunchroom ‘hellos’ and elevator ‘goodbyes’. Hence my dilemma: to ‘Christmas party or not to Christmas party’.


From what I have gathered, an office-organised event only happens once a year. And this is it. I’m thinking if I don’t go, I won’t be included in any ‘remember whens’ (for the next however long people decide to talk about that one event instead of the weather). There is free alcohol…but alcohol-fuelled conversations can be disastrous amongst people you know let alone making chat-chit with your new ill-common Vitamin D deficient fellow boxed partitioners.  And partners aren’t invited. I can see myself walking in solo, bee-lining to fill my mouth with dirty spring rolls and champagne before getting stuck talking to someone whose name escapes me while having no lifeline. Errrrrrrrr. The possibility of inelegant discomfort seems endless.

I am the office grinch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment